Wednesday, January 28, 2015

NewYorkers are wimps.

THEY NAMED IT??? Juno? Really?
We've been hearing about this storm for weeks. The locals have all
been warning the missionaries of the approaching blizzard, calling us
to cancel appointments because they didn't want us going out. On
Monday our mission president ordered that we use the time set aside
for district meeting to stock up on food and make sure our emergency
kits were complete. When we went to get some non perishable food it
seemed that the grocery store was hosting a dooms-day preppers
convention! It was crowded with people but void of food. We got
Target's last flashlight. We were informed we would have to turn in at
six o'clock that night and spend all Tuesday indoors. With all the
hype, I was getting pretty excited for a real big East Coast storm!
Let me tell you, what a let down! I would call that a light dusting.
Just a few inches that didn't even stick to the roads...  And they
thought it warranted a name??? Goodness! It makes me wonder if
Hurricane Sandy was anything more than some light rain and a slight
breeze. I noticed they close schools here for less than that too. I
didn't even know that "snow days" we're an actual thing! I've driven
to school in actual blizzards compared to this! New Yorkers need to
suck it up and stop looking for excuses to not go to work.

Anyway. I probably shouldn't complain about having perfectly good
weather. Count your blessings, right?

Sorry I stole Ben from you all for a few days, but it was well worth
it! He got to see us commit a woman named I* to baptism on the
first lesson not too long after marveling at the Freedom Tower and
listening to a jazz musician in Central Park. The full New York New
York North Mission Experience! Those few days were awesome! We got to
do a lot of stuff on p-day in the city. I'm still not sure exactly how
we went so many places in Manhattan in such a short time. I hope he
enjoyed it! I hope he's been behaving himself at home since then.
How's he adjusting?

We've had quite a bit of success with new investigators lately. We've
had several people say something along the lines of "I feel like God
sent you guys to me at just the right moment." One such was a woman
named S*! How awesome is that? S*! So we're going to
start teaching her now.

Right now, we have three people committed to baptism! I*, K*,
and M*. Note that all three are women, which brings me to a
conversation we had with the President's Assistants as they drove us
back from dropping off Ben at the airport. They asked us about the
work in our area and we told them it was going well and talked about
some of the success we've had. They noticed that all the names we were
saying we're feminine, so they asked us if we thought sister
missionaries would do well in our area... I wouldn't count on anything
at transfers, but this does seem to increase the likelihood that I'll
be leaving Poughkeepsie in a few weeks. Really though, anything could
happen. All is just speculation.

Today we're going to the Walkway Over the Hudson, which is the only
reason anyone might consider visiting Poughkeepsie. It's a super old,
super big railroad bridge that goes across the Hudson River. The
trains don't use it anymore, so they converted it into a walkway and
tourist attraction. We've driven past it everyday, and now we decided
we want to actually go out on it. It'll be fun! I'll send some
pictures of it later today.

That's all for now. Hope you all have a great week!

Sincerely,
the one remaining Elder Burton

Walkway Over the Hudson
1. Looking North towards the Catskills
2. Looking South towards the Mid-Hudson Bridge and Poughkeepsie.




No comments:

Post a Comment