Wednesday, July 8, 2015

"Whoa-oh! We're halfway there!"

I'm going BOTTLE-HUNTING! Elder Nelson and Elder Pulu in my district sometimes go out with a member they work with to find antique bottles in the mud of the Long Island Sound beaches, and today we're doing it for a p-day activity! I'll let you know how it goes later.
Anyway, we've had another great week! Ruby's friend, Miss B*, cam to church with her las Sunday and she loved it. We hope she'll keep coming. It will never interfere with going to her own church because she's a Seventh-Day Adventist... We'll see how long that lasts.  She actually joined the Adventists with Ruby, but then Ruby left and eventually joined our church.

Speaking of Ruby, she was just called as the Gospel Principles teacher! The ward mission leader teaches it right now, but he's going to teach it with her for a few weeks and then start letting her do it on her own. She's already read through most of the Gospel Principles book!

DJ is still on track to be baptized on August 1st, but we may have to move it to August 8th so we have more time to teach him everything. We'll see. Either way, he's going to get there. Every time we talk about the Celestial Kingdom he says, "That's where I'm going! I'm getting baptized!"

Unfortunately, R* had to cancel our last Skype appointment because she got sick, but she's been reading the Book of Mormon!

On Friday, the whole mission got to go to a Yankees Game to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing and watch to first half of the game. Apparently we only got the boring half, when the Ya Kees were losing, and then after we left they made a comeback and won it! Oh, well. It was a lot of fun! We were literally on the very top row, but that just means we had a view of the game, and of Manhattan!

I hope you all had a fun 4th of July! We didn't really do anything to celebrate here, but we were required to turn in an hour early to avoid the reveling going on that night. But as we were getting ready for bed, I had the strangest realization. I realized that exactly one year from that night I would be getting ready for bed in the mission home after a lovely Fourth of July meal with President and Sister Smith and the next day I would be on a plane to Salt Lake City. Where did the time go??? That means today is May last July 8th on my mission! That sounds like a ridiculous to be contemplating, but it feels so strange to! Tomorrow's my last July 9th. Then my last August, my last September, my last Halloween, my last Christmas my last everyone before I go home! I think I understand better how a man must feel when he turns forty and realized he's officially "over the hill." I think I'm having my mission mid-life crisis or something. Haha! I could swear time is accelerating.

Well, I've got to go now. Thanks for all the love and support, as always. I'll try to send pictures from bottle hunting later.

-Elder Samuel Burton






No comments:

Post a Comment